2019 POWER OF NURSING FACULTY DEVELOPMENT TRAINING WORKSHOP
July 17 @ 9:30 am - July 21 @ 12:30 pm
- Wednesday-Sunday, July 17 – 21, 2019
- 9:30 am – 5:30 pm
- Yellow Springs, Ohio
- Program begins at 9:30 am on Wednesday July 17th and ends Sunday July 21st at 12:30pm
WHO SHOULD APPLY
Academic faculty from accredited nursing schools who are committed to serve as course directors and implement the curriculum at their institution.
Faculty participants will be able to:
- Implement and evaluate a 15-hour experiential, transformational curriculum for undergraduate and graduate nursing students.
- Compare the transformational potential of the discovery model to the traditional cognitive/intellectual educational model.
- Discuss the shadow of nursing education and strategies to detoxify it.
- Name three parameters of safe interactional space for learning and transformation.
- Use reflection and contemplation as major educational tools.
- List the characteristics of a community of inquiry approach to nursing school education.
- Lead a class exercise focused on discovering effective healing responses to the losses of others.
- Discuss grief and its importance in preventing burnout.
- Discuss grief’s impact on the ability to find meaning in professional work.
- Run a Finding Meaning in Nursing groupfor faculty colleagues.
- Discuss the personal meaning of their work with peer professionals.
- Lead two class exercises in service, calling and professional commitment.
- Discuss the importance of silence and generous listening in transformational nursing school education.
- Facilitate a small group discovery model discussion.
Rachel Naomi Remen, MD
Evangeline C. Andarsio, MD
Mary Pat Thomas, MSN, RN, AHN-BC
Rianna Lloyd, DNP, RN
Laurie Fonken, Ph.D., L.P.C.
Please Note: Dr. Remen will be present for the entire workshop via virtual technology.
Faculty course directors must attend the 5-day Faculty Training prior to implementation of the course at their school or healthcare organization.
We strongly suggest that two course co-directors attend from each school or organization. Our experience has shown that implementation of the course is most successful when there are two co-directors to support each other during implementation, and further guarantees the continuity of the curriculum.
Prior to attending the course, the course director(s) must obtain verbal support from appropriate department heads, deans, and/or members of a curriculum committee expressing a level of interest in implementing the course at their school.
The course director(s) should have a plan for ongoing fiscal support for the course.
The course director(s) agree(s) to use a nationally standardized evaluation, provided by RISHI, for students and faculty participating in the course and submit a summative evaluation following the completion of each PON course
The PON course must be taught in its entirety as described in the The Power of Nursing: Embracing the Healer’s Art Manual and syllabus. PON is a workshop in nursing professional formation for nursing students. After completing the PON Faculty training, participants are able to offer workshops for nursing students and faculty. Any other use of the PON Manual and syllabus must be discussed with Mary Pat Thomas, MSN, RN, AHN-BC and Evangeline Andarsio, MD, Director of RISHI.
The course director(s) must agree that modules cannot be incorporated into other professional courses, nor can the courses in their entirety be incorporated into other existing curricula without the consent of the copyright holder.
TUITION: includes breakfast & lunch on all days
Nursing Faculty: $1,345
Note: Tuition covers the cost of the syllabus, training, breakfast and lunch daily (does NOT include evening meals or lodging).
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your application online before June 15, 2019. All applications will be reviewed. We will let you know of acceptance to the workshop within one month of application. Here is a link to the application:
CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICY
A deposit of $300 is due at time that your application is accepted. The tuition balance is due by June 15, 2019. A full refund of deposit (less processing fee of $25) will be issued for cancellations on or BEFORE July 1, 2019. Cancellations after July 1 will forfeit deposit.
For further information regarding the training contact Mary Pat Thomas, MSN, RN, AHN-BC at email@example.com or (937) 245-7450 x 3.
For questions regarding registration, payments, travel, hotel or other customer service issues, contact Jeff Staats at 937.245.7450 Ext. 4 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOTEL, TRAVEL AND MEAL INFORMATION
Lodging: The Training will be held at the Mills Park Hotel, 321 Xenia Ave, Yellow Springs, OH 45387. A special discounted room rate has been negotiated for workshop attendees at the Mills Park Hotel: $125 plus tax/night (Mon. thru Thurs) and $175 plus tax/night (Friday & Saturday). You can reserve your rooms after your application has been approved.
Lodging note: The Mills Park is a small, beautiful hotel, noted for its personalized care, and rooms sell out quickly. If you want to stay at the Mills Park Hotel, please know that it is very important to make reservations well in advance. Online reservation is not available. Please reserve your room by calling the hotel directly at 937-319-0400.
Additional lodging: We can provide names of alternative accommodations in a range of prices in the immediate vicinity of the event.
Travel: Participants fly in from all over the country to attend The Healers Art Faculty training. If you are arriving by plane and will be renting a car, consider the following airports:
- James M. Cox Dayton International Airport (DAY) – a 32 minute drive
- John Glenn Columbus International Airport (CMH) – a 60 minute drive or
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) – 85 minute drive
Meals: Breakfast and lunch are provided as part of tuition cost.
Evening meals and lodging are on your own.
Note: If you are on a special diet or limit your intake of specific foods, please contact us.
Yellow Springs, Ohio Restaurants & Activities:
The village of Yellow Springs offers a wonderful selection of restaurants, shopping and outdoor activities.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 10064 for 27 contact hours.
California BRN continuing education credits are accepted by most state nursing boards; please verify with your state agency if you are outside of California.
Disclosure policy: The Remen Institute for the Study of Health and Illness has implemented a process where everyone who is in a position to control the content of any educational activity must disclose any relevant financial relationship with a commercial interest. Disclosure Information: The speakers, presenters and planning committee members for this educational activity disclose no relevant financial relationships with commercial interests.
For more information, please contact Mart Pat Thomas, M.S., R.N., Director of the Power of Nursing Program at email@example.com or (937) 245-7450, ext. 3.