2018 POWER OF NURSING FACULTY DEVELOPMENT TRAINING WORKSHOP
July 18 @ 9:30 am - July 22 @ 12:00 pm
- Wednesday-Sunday, July 18 – 22, 2018
- 9:30 am – 5 pm
- Yellow Springs, Ohio
- Program begins at 9:30 am on Wednesday July 18th and ends Sunday July 22nd at noon
WHO SHOULD APPLY
Academic faculty from accredited nursing schools who are committed to serve as course directors and implement the curriculum at their institution.
- Name and discuss with peers and faculty the unique personal dimension that they bring to their work.
- Recognize and discuss the commonality of personal concerns among their peers and gain support for self-care and personal development from peers and faculty.
- Utilize the skill of reflection in their professional work.
- Recognize and discuss the universality of loss and grief.
- Recognize grief as a self-care strategy for nurses and identify strategies and tools of effective grieving.
- Experience the power of listening and presence to heal others.
- Realize that who they are is as important as what they know.
- Remember and recognize the healing qualities that are part of who they are as individuals.
- Recognize and discuss lineage holders, healers and the values that have influenced their call to the profession.
- Explore the quality of courage and their sense of individual power, initiative, and leadership in the direction of care.
- Formulate a personal values statement that supports their commitment to nursing
- Speak their commitment to nursing aloud to their colleagues.
- Form compassionate healing relationships with nurse colleagues.
- Learn tools of self-remembering, values clarification, and stress reduction.
- Be able to articulate discovery discussion group guidelines and set up similar groups with peers.
Rachel Naomi Remen, MD
Evangeline C. Andarsio, MD
Mary Pat Thomas, MSN, RN, AHN-BC
Laurie Fonken, Ph.D., L.P.C.
Please Note: Dr. Remen will be present for the entire workshop via virtual technology.
Faculty course directors must attend the 5-day Faculty Training prior to implementation of the course at their school or healthcare organization.
We strongly suggest that two course co-directors attend from each school or organization. Our experience has shown that implementation of the course is most successful when there are two co-directors to support each other during implementation, and further guarantees the continuity of the curriculum.
Prior to attending the course, the course director(s) must obtain verbal support from appropriate department heads, deans, and/or members of a curriculum committee expressing a level of interest in implementing the course at their school.
The course director(s) should have a plan for ongoing fiscal support for the course.
The course director(s) agree(s) to use a nationally standardized evaluation, provided by RISHI, for students and faculty participating in the course and submit a summative evaluation following the completion of each PON course
The PON course must be taught in its entirety as described in the The Power of Nursing: Embracing the Healer’s Art Manual and syllabus. PON is a workshop in nursing professional formation for nursing students. After completing the PON Faculty training, participants are able to offer workshops for nursing students and faculty. Any other use of the PON Manual and syllabus must be discussed with Mary Pat Thomas, MSN, RN, AHN-BC and Evangeline Andarsio, MD, Director of RISHI.
The course director(s) must agree that modules cannot be incorporated into other professional courses, nor can the courses in their entirety be incorporated into other existing curricula without the consent of the copyright holder.
TUITION: includes breakfast & lunch on all days
Nursing Faculty: $1,345
Note: Tuition covers the cost of the syllabus, training, breakfast and lunch daily (does NOT include evening meals or lodging).
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your application online before June 15, 2018. All applications will be reviewed. We will let you know of acceptance to the workshop within one month of application. Here is a link to the application:
CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICY
A deposit of $300 is due at time that your application is accepted. The tuition balance is due by June 15, 2018. A full refund of deposit (less processing fee of $25) will be issued for cancellations on or BEFORE July 1, 2018. Cancellations after July 1 will forfeit deposit.
For further information regarding the training contact Mary Pat Thomas, MSN, RN, AHN-BC at firstname.lastname@example.org or (937) 245-7450 x 3.
For questions regarding registration, payments, travel, hotel or other customer service issues, contact Jeff Staats at 937.245.7450 Ext. 4 or email@example.com.
HOTEL, TRAVEL AND MEAL INFORMATION
Lodging: The Training will be held at the Mills Park Hotel, 321 Xenia Ave, Yellow Springs, OH 45387. A special discounted room rate has been negotiated for workshop attendees at the Mills Park Hotel: $120 plus tax/night (Mon. thru Thurs) and $170 plus tax/night (Friday & Saturday). You can reserve your rooms after your application has been approved.
Lodging note: The Mills Park is a small, beautiful hotel, noted for its personalized care, and rooms will sell out quickly. If you want to stay at the Mills Park Hotel, please know that it is very important to make reservations well in advance.
Additional lodging: We can provide names of alternative accommodations in a range of prices in the immediate vicinity of the event.
Travel: Participants fly in from all over the country to attend The Healers Art Faculty training. If you are arriving by plane and will be renting a car, consider the following airports:
- James M. Cox Dayton International Airport (DAY) – a 32 minute drive
- John Glenn Columbus International Airport (CMH) – a 60 minute drive or
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) – 85 minute drive
Meals: Breakfast and lunch are provided as part of tuition cost.
Evening meals and lodging are on your own.
Note: If you are on a special diet or limit your intake of specific foods, please contact us.
Yellow Springs, Ohio Restaurants & Activities:
The village of Yellow Springs offers a wonderful selection of restaurants, shopping and outdoor activities.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 10064 for 29 contact hours.
California BRN continuing education credits are accepted by most state nursing boards; please verify with your state agency if you are outside of California.
Disclosure policy: The Remen Institute for the Study of Health and Illness has implemented a process where everyone who is in a position to control the content of any educational activity must disclose any relevant financial relationship with a commercial interest. Disclosure Information: The speakers, presenters and planning committee members for this educational activity disclose no relevant financial relationships with commercial interests.
For more information, please contact Mart Pat Thomas, M.S., R.N., Director of the Power of Nursing Program at firstname.lastname@example.org or (937) 245-7450, ext. 3.